As part of my mini-series, here is a short list of lessons that I learned while using WordPress as my blogging platform. All of these can also be found and are applicable on other platforms, of course, but I only took a hold of them when I started using WordPress a year and a week ago!
– Putting your social media widgets is a must. Especially if you want to network with your readers, you may want to include your social media widgets on your page. This way, your readers will know where and how to reach you aside from the Contact page where e-mails are sent and are for longer notice.
– For someone who’s as lazy as I am, I learned to schedule my posts for when I am not in the mood to write. I have this bad habit of impromptu writing and by impromptu, I mean I never really take the opportunity to read through and edit it. So when the day comes that I’m in the mood to write, I try to come up with content and simultaneously edit them then schedule them for a certain day. Moreover, when I started blogging, I had this calendar on my computer that tells me when and which to post. But then I got very busy with school and that’s when my bad habit of impromptu writing started.
– This is different from the widgets option. Replying to your readers’ comments on your posts is not so much of a hardwork. It only shows that you appreciate their effort on reading your work and sharing their insights about it.
And based on my experience, WordPress users are so much nicer than where I previously blogged.
– Coming up with content for your blog also takes hardwork. Of course you want your blog to make sense and represent you. Clearly, I have not mastered the art of brainstorming up until now and am still learning it.
– This is the most important thing everybody needs to learn. At the same time, the hardest. There are a lot of blogs out there that may be having the same theme and/or idea as yours, so you need to try to be as original as possible. I believe that I still have a long way to go when it comes to the authenticity of my blog. A wide variety of themes and gimmicks cross my mind every now and then that I cannot decide which one to utilise for my blog.
The list could go on, however, these are just my top 5 favorite lessons. I have a few episodes that will be up every Fridays of July so I hope you stay tuned for more! I will see you in the next episode 🙂
Love and light,